With around six weeks left until the NHL Trade Deadline it’s time to start rumour hunting.
The low salary cap will make it difficult to move a lot of players but, you never know, we could get surprised. Here are some of what’s flying around in the media.
- Sportsnet suggests Legwand could end up wearing a different jersey for the first time in his career, with New Jersey and Washington as possible destinations.
- Eklund reported that Olli Jokinen’s name is being thrown around the rumour mill, again, like always.
- Matt Moulson’s name keeps appearing next to Ottawa and Los Angeles in rumours.
- The Maple Leafs are listening closely to offers on Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri and James Reimer. Three good pieces to work with to bring back a need for the organization.
- The Ryan O’Reilly watch is on with about a month to go before he is eligible to be dealt should Colorado want to travel down that road. It’s only logical that one of O’Reilly or Statsny gets traded for some help on the blueline. With Duchene and MacKinnon as the present and future of the middle for Colorado there is no need to keep both Stastny and O’Reilly around when both could yield a significant improvement for the defense of the Avalanche.
- Dennis Wideman’s name keeps popping up out of Calgary in trade rumours. Brian Burke is very effective at cleaning house when he takes over a sinking ship. It’s ironic that he ends up in Calgary and ends up firing the man he goated into trades when he first took over in Toronto. The only player safe in Calgary is Sean Monahan.
- Tomas Vanek is most likely headed to free agency in July, so it’s up to Isles GM Garth Snow whether he wants to spend March-June trying to re-sign the star forward or deal him and try his luck when the market opens. Pittsburgh is always looking for a winger opposite Crosby/Kunitz so expect them to be rumored in every conversation about Vanek.
Two nights ago Antoine Roussel and Kevin Klein had the bout of the year. It was a flashback to the days of Rob Ray, Bob Probert and Tie Domi. Fists were flying non-stop for the duration of the fight before both players ran out of gas and ended the fight in mutual exhaustion. Here’s the video from hockeyfights.com.